As a serving congregation, we seek insight and vision as we strive to act with energy in response to Christ’s call to ministry in our community and in the world. • From the Immanuel Mission Statement
Immanuel's Outreach is vast. From our hands-on monthly in-house sandwich making for DC Central Kitchen, to trips abroad to Peru, Mexico and Guatemala, Immanuel supports those in need in our neighborhood, the DC area, our nation and our world.
Immanuelites are committed to serving others through hands-on participation, indirect assistance and financial aid. Three of many examples include the following: Immanuelites have responded to the call to ministry through assistance to those affected by Hurricane Rita in New Orleans, through youth participation in Habitat for Humanity building in Pennsylvania, and through Rebuilding Together in Arlington.,
Our Outreach Program is channeled through these groups:
- Community Service and Action • CS&A encourages participation in and support of charitable organizations in our local community by coordinating drives for needed food and other items and annually disbursing funds to several area organizations.
- Chesterbrook Residences • In 2000, Immanuel and two other McLean religious communities began realizing our dream of building an affordable, 97-apartment retirement living facility in the McLean area. Chesterbrook opened its doors in 2007.
- International Mission • The International Mission Committee helps our congregation become personally involved with Presbyterians and others abroad. In the process, our Immanuel members learn about other peoples -- their faith, culture, history, economics and politics. We take mission trips, establish partnerships and disburse funds to those in need around the world.
- Youth Mission • A hallmark of our youth programs is their involvement in mission. As confirmands, youth dedicate a “Day in the City,” serving the poor. For a week each summer, they travel to Pennsylvania to build with Habitat for Humanity. Our youth also participate in an annual summer reading program, as well as holiday events with our special needs friends from Langley Residential Support Services
- Volunteer Opportunities • Immanuel offers lots of ways to volunteer your time and talents.
- Changing Lives/”I Have a Dream” Program • Since 1995, this program has forged strong bonds between members of Immanuel and families in and around Anacostia, in Washington, DC. Our covenant with the students in our program: if you complete high school, we will pay for post secondary schooling or job training.