During this time of crisis, the CS&A committee would like to provide Immanuelites with specific opportunities to help those in our local community that may be suffering more than usual during the Coronavirus crisis. While all of us are affected by this crisis in many ways, these charities (listed below) are ensuring that the basic needs of our underprivileged neighbors are met in a timely way. If you would like to help, review the list below and select the associated links (simply click on the blue text) to learn more or make a donation.
- Facets serves our neighbors who suffer the effects of homelessness, poverty, and hunger in Fairfax County. Urgent need: During this uncertain time, the individuals and families Facets serves are more dependent than ever on FACETS for food, shelter and other essential services. Financial contributions are needed to cover unexpected costs.
- FCPS Foundation “Kids in Need”assists local social workers and teachers in providing food and other necessary items to underprivileged students. Urgent need: During the Coronavirus crisis, “Kids in Need” is seeking additional funding to ensure all students have access to healthy meals that they otherwise would receive at school.
- Mary House is a community-based transitional organization that provides housing and support services to at-risk immigrant and refugee families. Urgent need: In addition to providing food to families, Mary House is providing Kid’s Care Packages, including stickers, crayons, fun things to lift the spirits of our immigrant and refugee community in the DC Area. Contact Sharon, Mary House director (202)669-9406.
- The Pilgrimage is a service-learning hostel based in D.C. that teaches groups of young people from across the nation about anti-poverty and interfaith work in Washington, D.C. Urgent need: The Pilgrimage has been a large part of Presbyterian outreach from our presbytery, and due to the cancellation of all Pilgrimage groups as a result of the Coronavirus outbreak, the organization is facing severe financial shortages.
- Second Story transforms the lives of children, youth and their families by providing safe havens and opportunities for them to grow and thrive. Urgent need: Second Story is requesting gift cards to allow the purchase of needed items for programs, and to provide to youth who may experience job loss due to the crisis. Gift cards will also help purchase food and other needed supplies for those served by the Community Based Programs.
- SHARE is a coalition of local faith communities to help meet the emergency needs of our neighbors in McLean and the nearby areas of Northern Virginia. Urgent need: Donations of food and personal care items are critically needed and can be left in the outside donation sheds. The most wanted items for our Grab and Go boxes are listed on the SHARE website. $25 gift cards are especially needed and can be dropped off at SHARE.
- Shelter House is a community-based, non-profit organization that provides crisis intervention, safe housing, and supportive services to homeless families and victims of domestic violence in our community. Urgent need: Shelter House needs your help to continue the mission by making a financial contribution or donating in-kind items.
- Children of Mine provides at-risk children with the intellectual, nutritional, and emotional support needed to excel and become functional members of their community and the world. The Children of Mine Youth Center is a 501(c)(3) non-profit after school program in Washington, DC’s Anacostia neighborhood that provides a safe, clean, and structured environment for children across the DC metropolitan area. To learn more, click here.